In an ideal world we would all grow our own organic food, eat according to nature’s bounty and breathe clean air. In reality we try to eat healthily, get too little sleep, drink alcohol and live in an urban environment full of unavoidable toxins.
Our bodies naturally have a great way of detoxing, but that doesn’t mean we can’t support it from time to time. Spring is a great time to detox; here are my 8 top tips to help you boost that internal ability:
- Alkalise your body – The body’s pH is closely regulated and when it drifts out of balance so does our health, because the body’s natural detox pathways work better in an alkaline environment. Spring and Summer are times when there is an abundance of alkaline foods – which includes most fruit and vegetables, so boost those and cut back on the heavy proteins. Our MP Face Salt isn’t just for your face, you can use it all over and in your bath to alkalise your skin.
- Breathe Deeply – Good lymph flow is essential to any detox initiative, as this your body’s cleaning system is powered by your breathing and movement; see my earlier blog on breathing. Better breathing also helps you to cope with stress and lower your blood pressure.
- Berry Boost – Research shows berries like blue berries and strawberries do more than ward off free radical damage and provide anti-inflammatory support. They could also help you detox your brain by boosting natural lymph flow.
- Eat more Greens – Remember how your mum always made you eat your greens? Greens (Cabbage, Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard etc) are particularly helpful in helping alkalise the body, support cell metabolism and lymph flow. They are also a great source of Vitamin A, C, K and Calcium.
- Get Moving – There is more light available and the days are getting warmer. Spend more time outdoors, expose your skin to sunlight and move your body. Join an exercise class that mobilises joints, improves flexibility, agility as well as strength. You’ll also benefit from the energy of the group.
- Hydrate – I am a great believer in sipping hot water regularly throughout the day. Not only does this keep your body hydrated, but it helps digestion, detoxification, and is very comforting, like tea and coffee without the negatives.
- Sweat it Out – The Scandinavians have long believed in the health benefits of sauna (and cold showers). A few minutes is great for cleansing your skin, the largest organ in the body. It can also help lower blood pressure, enhance blood flow and boost cardiac function.
- Sweet Sleep – too little sleep affects your health, mood, weight and sex life. As excess weight is often a motivator for detoxing, knowing that sleep deprived people tend to have abnormal blood glucose levels and are ‘hungrier’ because of lower leptin (the feel full hormone) levels is a good reason to turn off the tech and go to bed earlier.